Monday, April 18, 2011

Who Am I?

After being a SAHM for a few weeks, I thought it would be appropriate to discuss who I am.  I know that many who read this are my friends.  Some are long time friends who have watched me grow through life, others are from my younger adult life, and some are fairly recent friends.  Part of the reason I decided to stay at home was to give myself time to find out who I am now.  Although I have yet to sit and read a book or watch any extra TV shows (I actually watch LESS TV), I have had quiet time to reflect on this.  I began my life with a modest family.  My dad worked hard (and long hours) to provide the money that we needed to survive.  But, the rest was up to my mom.  I have fond memories of my mom "doing it all!"  I don't remember thinking, "Wow!  Look at her!  She does so much!  How does she do it all?"  I just remember her getting it done.  Dad was busy on the council in Nashville and with his regular job.  He spent many nights helping others even when my mom probably needed him at home as much or more.  Because they had so much love and respect for each other, it all worked out.  I am the oldest of 4 girls.  I grew up playing in the street, having a lot of parties, and enjoying life.  I knew at an early age that I wanted to be a teacher.  So, after graduating from McGavock HS in Nashville, I went to MTSU to pursue this goal.  I assumed that I would be married young and have children young.  But, God had another plan.  After graduating from college, I was not dating anyone.  I moved back home with Mom and Dad.  Because they moved while I was in college (from the house they owned for 22 years), I had my own bedroom.  I was a substitute teacher and worked at O'Charleys.  The next fall, I was able to get a full-time teaching job.  And, that is when I bought my first house.  It was the day before Thanksgiving in 1997 when I closed on my house.  I continued teaching, working at O'Charleys, and then began my master's degree.  This is what I was busy doing when I met my husband, Eric.  We quickly fell in love but, due to selling a house, the Army's schedule, etc., we were married 1 year (to the month) after our first date.  I then began teaching at Ft. Campbell.  We were pregnant by our first wedding anniversary.  Shortly after D's birth, Eric deployed to Iraq. He returned only to help our family move to South Korea.  We had a tough but rewarding experience there.  That is where we conceived RJ and she was 2 when we moved back to the states.  Before our return to the states in 2006, I had spend little time thinking about who I am.  But, that is where it began.  I returned to work in 2007 (after taking 3 years off between 2003 and 2006, and working 1 year in Korea.).  I worked full-time as a teacher from 2007-10.  Then, I went part-time.  But, the duty of a military wife called and I felt the calling to be a SAHM.  So, who am I?  I am a woman striving to be a good Christian.  I think my first job is that of  a wife and mother. I am a sister and friend.  I enjoy reading books, helping others, and have actually enjoyed getting more exercise lately!  I am someone who should slow down and smell the roses. I need to ask for help more but am proud when I can do things myself. (got that one from Mom!)  I should forgive more and judge less.  I should have more patience with my children and hug them more.  I am someone who is trying to learn to relax and breathe deeply.  I want to simplify my life by getting rid of excessive baggage (belongings, negativity, and the past).  I need to learn to keep my mouth shut when it isn't nice but speak up more when I feel like someone has walked all over me.  I am very proud of my family.  I am proud to be a military wife.  I am more in love with my husband today than I was 10 years ago when we married.  I am proud to be a mom to my 2 sweet girls.  They wear me out and make me crazy but I wouldn't trade either for anything else in the world.  So, simply put...I am a product of my upbringing with the good and bad experiences.  I am blessed.  I am complete...  I will learn how to sit back and soak it all in so it doesn't pass by like a blur in the night.  I am one lucky gal!  Thanks to all who have been part of making me who I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment