Tuesday, May 3, 2011

OBL.........

OBL is not the Outer Banks of Louisiana.  It is Osama Bin Laden.  I have to admit, Sunday night my sweet husband called at 9:15 pm and I was trying to settle the girls down after they should have been asleep.  I could feel my stress level rising and then the phone rang........  I felt so bad that I wasn't ready to talk to him.  I didn't expect the call and should have been ecstatic.  But, instead, I was just frustrated with the timing.  So, half of the conversation was me getting upset with the girls.  We did get a chance to talk and he let me know that the flight he was taking that day (which was planned long before) would be a long one.  While I was talking to my sweetie, I received a call and text from my girls' dance teacher.  When I returned the call, she couldn't talk because the president was about to speak.  {Really?  On Sunday night?  Really? At 9:30? hmmmm......}  So, I turned on the TV.  Then, I learned the news.......  Osama Bin Laden was killed!  Really?????  While my husband was in Afghanistan?  While I am proud of the accomplishment, I was hesitant about the timing.  I want my husband home when things like this happen.  Doesn't everyone?  Don't we want our husbands there to protect us?  Not sure why.  It really doesn't make sense.  But, it's the reality.  I remember when Saddam Hussein was found in the hole.  We were in S. Korea.  But, we were together as a family.  So, while I was happy about Bin Laden's capture, I was worried about retaliation against our troops in Afghanistan.  So, I sat and worried.  My brother called and tried to say something reassuring.  It was sweet but I knew he had no idea what to say.  But, what a great thought!  A while later, the phone rang again.  This time it was my sister's girlfriend.  It was so sweet for her to call.  At first, she had no idea what to say.  She listened, let me cry, and then brought me back to reality.  Then, we spent the better part of an hour laughing, talking, and gossiping!  When we had a connection problem, we decided it was a sign that we needed to get some sleep.  By this time, I was exhausted and knew I had to sleep. I sent Eric an email to every email account that Eric had to tell him to let me know he landed safely.   Although it wasn't good sleep, it was sleep.  I was a nervous wreck until I heard his voice again.  This is crazy because in 2003 when he was in Iraq, I only heard from him once a month.  Yes, once a month!!!!  (That was a once a month phone call with no emails between!!)  So, why is it that I worried so much?  It is because the realities of war weren't there in 2003.  The 101st Airborne Division was going to go into Iraq, kick ass, remove Saddam Hussein and come home!  Wow!  Now, 8 years after his first deployment (2/28/03), I am very aware of the realities of war.  I have seen the devastation that war can create within families that stay together, families that are broken, and families who have lost a loved one.  So, for our true heroes, the fallen heroes, I keep a prayer vigil...until the troops come home....

No comments:

Post a Comment