Friday, February 25, 2011

Doing what's best...without regrets....

As a mom, I have learned that every decision I make affects those two girls I call D and RJ.  When D was born, we were awaiting orders for Eric to go to Iraq.  So, I kept teaching kindergarten and didn't try to stay at home since I couldn't imagine being at home with an infant and a husband who never comes home.  But, by the time the school year was over and D was 5 1/2 months old, E had orders to S. Korea.  So, I didn't return and took 2 school years off.  Well, that 2nd school year off was when I delivered RJ.  I returned back to work for one year while we were there.  It was great but still hard to balance being a teacher and a mom.  Both are professions that no one allows you to slack.
When we returned to the states, I took off a year but sutbbed at the mother's day out program the girls attended.  And, by the next school year, I was ready to be using the "professional" side of my brain.  With two preschoolers, I was going crazy with the continual need to clean, feed, laundry, clean, and feed.  So, in my infinite wisdom, I returned back to work as a teacher full-time. 
This proved to be both a good and bad decision.  I was able to use my "professional" brain more and still use my "mommy" brain.  But, the longer I worked, the more I had to be teacher and less time I had to be Mom.  But, because I worked at this particular school, I met the friends that supported me through the last deployment.  They helped with the girls and my mental health!  So, I quit that job and decided to work at a facility that offered homeschool support and tutoring. 
This has been a great opportunity  to learn more about what is out there and meet more great people.  But, after driving back and forth across town and not able to do the things I feel like I need to as a mom, I have made the decision to stay at home.  This has been something I have thought about since around Christmas.  The problem? If I pull the kids out of this setting, they will be missing out on the dance/arts they receive during the school day.  They will miss their friends. They will have a huge adjustment.
As luck would have it, Mrs. Christy, the dance instructor (whom the girls have danced with for a number of years) is going to open in a new studio in a few weeks.  So, that sealed the deal.  (Along with seeing what all I could get done with staying at home this week!) 
I handed in my resignation today and will stop working on March 18th. (The last day before spring break)  The girls will start their new elementary school on the Monday after spring break.   I want to try to be a mom first and a professional second.  I want to do some things for me and volunteer more.  I am so glad that I have been afforded this opportunity by my wonderful husband.
Without the support of my husband, family, and friends, I would not have been able to do this.  Each provides support in ways that I need.  I am so excited about this wonderful opportunity. 
So, with guilt (although I have been told that I should not feel it) and pleasure....I am going to be a SAHM!!!!  :)
Thanks everyone!!!  Love you all!!!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Amy! I'm so proud of you. Enjoy being a SAHM!! No guilt, no regrets. Just love on those girls, and be the best woman you can be . . . whether as a teacher, a professional, a mom, a wife, a friend, and just as yourself.

    ReplyDelete