Monday, February 21, 2011

Reaching out

I had decided to work part time for many reasons this year.  But, the only way I have been volunteering is through the FUEL program at our church.  So, as this school year continues, and my stage of life is changing, I wanted to spend this blog discussing ways to help service members.  It really doesn't take much for those who live near a military post/base.  One thing that was recently done for me is that I was in a Hallmark store in Hermitage, TN (near my parents' house) and I was purchasing one of the recordable books.  The nice gentleman who was helping me, gave me pointers to make the  book sound better and the quality of the product enhanced.  I said, "I will write this down for my  husband.  I am sending the books to him in Afghanistan and he will ship them back to our girls."  He said, "This is the most I can do but, I can give you a 20% discount to help with the shipping costs overseas and back."  Although this is monetary, there are many ways to help military families without spending a dime.  Just asking the wife of a deployed soldier out for coffee, dinner, etc.  Offer your child (if age appropriate) to babysit her children while she goes shopping, to a movie, or dinner.  The kids enjoy the break from Mom and Mom enjoys the break without worrying...  :)  So, I am attaching some links for each of you to view.  If so inclined, reach out.  Our girl scout troop is sending over any "donated" boxes of cookies to Eric's unit in Afghanistan.  I don't think we have sold that many but the economy is bad and most don't have an extra $3.50 to donate to any cause.

The following is the Blue Star Mothers.  I have a dear friend of our family who is very involved in this organization.  There are many chapters throughout the US. http://www.bluestarmothers.org

The next one is the VFW (Veteran's of Foreign War) website.  And, who would know better what a service member needs than someone who has served.  www.returnthefavor.org

Another website is great for assistance in being a foster parent to a pet, sending USO care packages, and sending items to wounded service members at Walter Reed. www.hereinreality.com/supportourtroops.html

For assistance to military families, www.military.com offers a lot of services.  They will assist you with many facets of the time apart (and getting life back on track once the service member returns).

There is a  PDF file that is titled 101 Ways To Help A Soldier. You can google it by using those words and it is at thehttp://www.ngaus.org/ website.  Many of these are FREE!!!!

Also, if you don't know anyone serving overseas, you can go to www.anysoldier.com and find ways.

I hope that these resources open your minds to ways that you and your family could help.  I love all of my supporters!!!  Couldn't do it without you!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Very cool links - thanks for sharing.

    That said - ANY time you want to drop the girls here for some time shopping or what ever - just yell! My girls would LOVE to play with yours!! And, you know I will go for coffee, dinner, snack, whatever anytime! HOpefully soon, it will be right around the corner from you so it would be super easy to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kendall!! I appreciate it! I will take you up on it one day. You are a very busy person. You will probably see me drop by the shop one day that I don't have the kids.... And, I may drop by your house one day I have the kids but no sanity! LOL I love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete