Wednesday, February 16, 2011

the good, the bad, the phone call...

It's 7:58 and we are supposed to be out of the house at 8:00 to get to school.  The phone rings...must be Eric!  He is supposed to try and call one day this week so that the girls can say hello.  But, "Crap" I think...this isn't the best time...we are trying to get out of the house!!!  Come to find out, it is a friend (whose child I teach) telling me that her daughter (and my daughters' classmate) is sick and unable to come to school.  Then, "Crap" I think again...But, not because of C being sick but because it wasn't Eric and because I felt I was "too busy" to stop and talk to him.  I should never be too busy to stop and talk to him.  Dang!  What kind of wife is too busy to talk to her husband in Afghanistan?  (I know...some say it but...I think they exaggerate!)  Then, about 2/3 the way to school, the phone rings again (and I answer it using the car phone bluetooth system thingy) and it's Eric!!!  WHOOT!! WHOOT!!!!!!!  It's him and he wants to talk to the girls! This is awesome.  We have a great 10-15 minute conversation like he is down the road somewhere.  But, then, it's time to hang up so he can go eat. (It's 6:45 pm in Afghanistan now...) As we start to say good-bye, the girls say it first and then Eric...and I try to muster up the strength to say it without sounding as if I'm crying (although I am) and just saying "love you, bye."  But, he said "love you too, bye" and I said, "love you, bye."  (It's our thing...he says it first but puts too after it...just something we started about 5 years ago and it stuck.  It was totally by accident since I was usually the one to say it first so he jumped the gun once and I teased him about it.)  Anyways, I could tell that when he heard my voice, he knew I was tearing up because he chuckled and said, "love you, bye" again.  I hate to be weak and let him know how badly I miss him.  I know he misses me as much and has much worse conditions than I do.  How can I possibly cry?  I have the comforts of our house and the love of our girls right beside me every day. 

I was able to compose myself and make it into work ok.  After work, I found out that my former principal's sister had died last night.  This is hard news because she was such a nice person to so many around her.  I didn't know her very well but I know that the lives she impacted the most are going to miss her.

As planned a few weeks ago, a group of us from that school met for dinner.  I have to say it was a good mix of personality.  We all laughed until we wiped tears away, drank, ate, drank, ate, and laughed some more.  What a great way to spend an evening!  And, it was topped off by me snuggling with my girls until they fell asleep.  And, like a bad Army wife, I am going to let them spend the night in my bed tonight.  When Eric deployed the first time and I worked full-time, I felt so much stress that I didn't take the time to cherish them. I have realized how much I love to hear them breathe, snore, and wiggle at night.  I am choosing to relish this time together and enjoy every moment of them right now.  I know that in a few short years we all won't be able to sleep in the bed together and they wouldn't want to be here if they were paid! So, I want to enjoy this moment-tonight! 

Say a prayer for those around you.  You never know what they are going through.  And, if you are "friends" with an Army family and a parent is deployed....Don't ask how we are.  We have a part of our family missing and our hearts ache every moment of every day.  We will tell you we are fine and that things are going well.  Now, if you are true to goodness friend, you will know how we are by looking at our faces.  You will be able to tell if we are sick, tired, or having a good day or a bad one.  You will begin by talking about something besides our missing family member. 

Again, I love all of my family and friends.  I could not do this without you.  God has put each one of you in my life for a reason!  :)

2 comments: